Shop Your Closet, 5 Ways to Reinvent your Wardrobe
Happy August! This month marks the mid-to-end of the summer season for many of us, especially those heading back to school. The San Francisco Bay Area will experience the heat well into mid-October which makes purchasing anything for fall a bit of a disadvantage. Rather than spurging on a new summer wardrobe why not reinvent the items you already have in your wardrobe? I know this isn't always the easiest thing to do but, every once and awhile I see someone else style a piece I already own in a completely different way and instantly get inspired to do the same!
1. Pin-spiration: These day's fashion inspiration is everywhere we look, from the train to social media and beyond! When I find myself becoming tired or bored with my outfits I turn to Pinterest for inspiration. Often times I'll simply search a style, top, or print I already own and see how other's are styling it. For instance, I have a gingham OTS blouse, that's very cute but, I was finding it hard to get creative ways to wear it. I saw an image of a girl wearing hers under a denim overall dress and was instantly inspired to try it!
2. Layer it: I know what you're thinking, "Layers in summer? Are you crazy?" Before thinking of heavy layering think of light summer fabrics like silk or cotton. Pairing these with one another isn't much heavier than a knit or denim. Styling a tank or a dress over a plain t-shirt can instantly transform a look into something modern and fun.
3. Think Multi-Functional: Must clothing can be made multi-functional with just a few tweaks. One of my favorite tricks is to take a button-front dress and wear it open with a pair of shorts and a tank. By styling it this way it instantly takes new form as a vest, giving you just another way to wear that piece.
4. Accessorize: It's a well-known trick in the stylist community that the right accessories can completely transform an outfit. Even though I prefer to take the less is more approach, I do like to wear streamlined pieces like scarves, hats, and belts. This summer I've been loving silk scarves (see all ways to style them here) more and more I've been wearing them constantly! For those looking to add shape to an outfit try belting your garment at the waist or tucking in a blouse to a high-waisted pair of denim with a slim belt.
5. Dress it Up or Down: Sometimes the easiest way to change or reinvent something you wear is to style it up or down. So often clothing can be made different by changing the mindset about where you'll be wearing it too. For instance, a floral sundress can be paired with a pair of sneakers and leather jacket and also styled with strappy heels and a hat for a completely different look.
SHOP THE POST
Dress: C/O Tobi | Heels: ShoeDazzle | Sunnies: Ray-Ban | Ring C/O Mejuri | Lipstick C/O Makeupforever
Mejuri has partnered with Urgent Action Fund for Women’s Human Rights to donate a portion of sales from our Evil Eye Collection. They are a global women’s fund that protects, strengthens and sustains women and transgender human rights defenders at critical moments. Together we will raise money to empower women worldwide. #MeForHer
Where do you find your style inspiration?